Link to Classic Fiddling Ant

Friday, February 6, 2015

Lyin' Brian Williams


NBC News Anchor Brian Williams is catching flack now because he lied about catching flack in 2003. Reports say that Williams has repeatedly shared a story that he was on a helicopter that came under fire during the Iraq War in 2003. Turns out he was on a different helicopter that followed the damaged bird by an hour.

Showing up at an accident an hour after it happened does not make you part of the accident.

Williams's apology also turns out to be just more spinning. He said:

"On this broadcast last week, in an effort to honor and thank a veteran who protected me and so many others after a ground-fire incident in the desert during the Iraq War invasion, I made a mistake in recalling the events of twelve years ago. . . . I want to apologize. I said I was traveling in an aircraft that was hit by RPG fire; I was instead in a following aircraft. We all landed after the ground-fire incident and spent two harrowing nights in a sandstorm in the Iraq desert. This was a bungled attempt by me to thank one special veteran, and by extension, our brave military men and women, veterans everywhere, those who have served while I did not. I hope they know they have my greatest respect, and also now my apology."

Notice this "apology" does not mention his helicopter arrived an hour after the damaged helicopter landed. He also did not explain why he shared this story in settings that made no effort to "honor and thank a veteran who protected me." Williams told the story on The Letterman Show and never mentioned any veteran.

It is clear that Williams's story was a way to puff up his war street cred.

So far NBC is taking no action. Williams may get away with lying because he is darling of the establishment left who promotes the narrative the establishment left wants people to hear.

It does raise the issue that media can't be trusted to tell the truth and it won't do anything about a "trusted" newsman willing to lie in order to look good.

If you liked this post, be sure to share it by selecting one of the share buttons below.
If you would like to get a notice of future posts, choose the Follow option at the bottom of this blog.

1 comment: